Tuesday, March 31, 2009

I'm suppose to be doing h/w right now. But it's been such an action packed night.

While my sister Amy was driving home from uni tonight, she was smacked by a car.
Now accidents do occur and in some instances anger would not be appropriate, but this instance screams pitch forks and fire!! (maybe not as dramatic and as obsolete it is you should get the picture)

I openly and honestly admit I have anger management issues when driving or as Kevin puts it "aggressive driving" and it's something I'm not proud of and am working on but who doesnt these days? People do the most craziest things on the road that it's not funny. As angry as I will get I still know the difference between right and wrong, I still know my responsibilites as a driver and that driving is something that is to be taken seriously. Unfortunately and obviously this does not apply to the majority of p-platers in this area.

This is breifly how the situation went down...

Driving home, there were four cars on this suburban street with speed humps - which indicates slow down obviously. Amy's car was second (if we were to visualise them driving in a line or down a street) and they had just gone over a speed bump. Then out of the blue, the idiot who drove a really really old ford laser with the really round hatch back decides he wants to overtake three cars...the car in front of Amy, Amy's car and the car behind her (mind you they were fourth in line - overtake = a big no no). While attempting this act of negligence and absolute stupidity, the p-plater see's another car heading in the opposite direction and swirves back into the lane he was trying to overtake - smacking Amys car in the process. What a bloody idiot!!!

To make matters worse, once the car in the opposite direction had passed, the car at fault sped up and did a runner. Prick. Coward. Cunt. P-plater.

So stereotypical. Young drivers who can too easily obtain a permit and claim they're the king of the road even with shit box cars. WRONG. Driving comes with responsibilites such as being a safe driver, knowing the road rules and accountability, especially accountability.

One of the most frustrating things is that such spineless p-platers give us alllllllllllllllllllllll a bad name!!!

I dont think government millions invested in all driving ads especially targeting young drivers are being effective. The mentality of "it'll never happen to me" is ingrained in their minds. Perhaps the only way to learn is the hard way. Pity in most of those instances, it's the casuality who suffers the more.

I'm have soooo much more respect for the civic after tonight and am thankful that it absorbed the impact and shielded Amy from any injuries.

2 comments:

  1. so did you get his number plate down?
    (im just assuming it was a he for some reason..)
    is the car alright???

    ReplyDelete
  2. what most people don't seem to realise is that driving is a privilege, not a right.
    honestly, driving brings out the ego in alot of people, young women not exempted, and even accidents don't always teach the unintended lesson of responsibility.
    i drive through peak hour freeway traffic to get to work most days, and you will not believe the dangerous, risky and pushy behaviour i encounter on a too-often basis.
    some people i believe were jus not destined for Drivers Licenses, yet they are on our roads.

    ReplyDelete