Saturday, March 28, 2009

Vaccination

While at work today I was able to grab a few moments to think...
Amongst the chaos of repeatedly telling people what our operating hours were and that the stock on the floor in the clearance bins was all we had left, I decided to finish what I had started and get the second cervical cancer vaccine.

See, early last year, I thought I'd be pro-active and go get it "while it was free" but after the first one, I missed the second and only realised after wards that if you miss one dosage then you have to start ALL OVER AGAIN.

Whats shit about this is... I have a morbid fear of needles.
Since birth, I have only ever gotten a needle if compulsory ie. travel vaccination, flu shot (because my mum went got mega paranoid and insisted everyone get one in her presence), tetanus shot at school (because they ticked you off a list) etc.

I did earlier this month, make an appointment to get the vaccine, but when I got there, after waiting over 30mins for a nurse and psyching myself I was finally informed of the fact that, that nurse was not fully qualified to administer vaccines on the weekend. The full time nurse who worked super restricted hours during the week was the one to see. What a waste of time!!

Despite all this I decided to book a super quick appointment with the nurse today to get the second dosage of the cervical cancer vaccine. The funny thing is, while making the appointment I had to clarify who I was twice - me, the 19 year old May, not the 50-something they also had on file (because they always seem to get us mixed up). To make matters even more interesting, the nurse who was on duty was the same nurse that I my original appointment with that weekend. I guess she finally finished whatever it was she had to obtain in order to be able to administer the vaccine. I tried to lighten the mood up by breathing deeply (perhaps freakishly too heavy lol) and trying to crack a lame joke "ohh...im back..ha...ha" - the nurse didnt reply. Nothing.

Everything was textbook right down to the "please lift your sleeve".
She didnt even ask me to stay for at least 5mins just in case there were any side effects.

So at the end I felt mega proud of myself...no tears shed at all lol
But to those whose future careers lie in such industries that require some form of physical care ie. nurses - please make an effort to show some form of humanity no matter how stupid, ignorant, obnoxious a lot of people may be. Good word of mouth is priceless.

2 comments:

  1. lol at the 50-something y.o double

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol last paragraph would refer to leah.
    wow no tears im proud
    i bored my eyes out taking all three needles
    and johnny was with me for everyone
    and know the downside for you is that you have to take 4 in total
    cos you missed your second one! =(

    ReplyDelete